Saturday, October 4, 2008

September Sheep Dog Trials





My Sister asked me to come help her do concessions at the Meeker Sheep Dog trials in Meeker Colorado. So I packed my bags and off I went, not having a clue what sheep trails are or what I would be doing to help.
Well I learned a little about the trials...
You have a handler: the person who owns and leads the dogs. You have a group of sheep that the dog must find and bring to where the handler is and they do this with a whistle and calls. The dogs must bring the sheep through gates that are set up on each side of the course and in the middle. the handler stands at a post up close to the stands when the dog has brought the sheep to the circle where the handler is he then must separate three sheep from the group and put them into a pin.
There is so much more to all of this but I cant write it all down.. Its technical. and Amazing what those dogs do. Really Smart Dogs!
I had such a great time, Met really nice people and truly enjoyed myself. My sister made me earn my keep by working me hard at concessions But I would be willing to go back next year if she lets me.
Besides she spoiled me with two fleece vests, lots of good food, like funnel cakes , ice cream, hot dogs, Hamburgers. many food vender's come and set up shop like at a carnival. Had art showing and pottery making and lots of t shirts and stuff to choose from.
The first Photo is of the banner that was last years art winner

No comments: